View Single Post
      09-16-2022, 09:06 AM   #18
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
I bet it is. The AC in my X5 went out this summer and I tracked it down to 98% sure it was the clutch/compressor. at 140K it's never been in the shop before - I have done everything myself. I called 2 Indy's in my hometown and both told me they were 6-8 MONTHS backed up. MONTHS! I finally had to break down and take it to the stealership. Very nice experience, but for the bill - it better have been.

I could not believe those places were that backed up. If I worked for a dealership and heard that - I'd have my own shop up and running in a heartbeat.
That's what happened to a couple of techs that used to work at my BMW dealership. They left and started their own repair garage. Granted this was well before Covid. But they've since moved from their previous location to a much larger facility. I've seen CarMax drop off BMWs for them to repair. I don't remember when they moved but I think it was right around when Covid hit. I've used them to mount tires on my wheels and they seem very busy. They've even branched out to selling their own certified used cars.

As an aside, I had to put my S1000RR into the shop for a factory recall for the timing chain tensioner. When I was waiting for the dealership to open, I saw a small puddle under my bike. Turns out the water/oil pump is bad. This was last Friday. Checked with the dealer yesterday on status. Service writer said the part they need is only showing in Germany and I'm looking at end of the month for them to receive the part. Then who knows how long it'll take for the actual repair as the oil pan, radiator, exhaust, etc etc has to come down.
Appreciate 0