08-09-2020, 09:32 PM   #229
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
It's just not true though, I mean the thoughts are but they are irrational. Short of lunching an engine, you are always in front on a used off warranty car because depreciation is such a SAVAGE expense, almost noting compares to it.

Case in point, my 9-3 was part of a 18 month period where GM installed poor fitting valves and the repair cost me $1200. Wife is like WE SHOULD JUST LEASE and i'm like IT'S LESS THAN 2 FUCKING LEASE PAYMENTS.

Buy 3 years old, keep for at least 7 years, there's no one you're not in front unless she lunches an engine.

And the whole argument that repairs on a cheap car don't makes sense......doesn't make sense. The value of the car is utterly irrelevant what matters is the replacement cost.

My 9-3 is worth maybe $5k, I spent $1200 in repairs last year as brakes, shocks etc were all due. Replacement cost for an equivalent sized vehicle is bare minimum $500 a month, and even that is stretching it.

Depreciation kills you.
I see your point for sure. Leasing is definitely throwing away money as is buying a new car; best bang for your buck is a slightly used car, that's what I did for my daily driver. But unfortunately used German cars are just too big a headache for me to deal with as daily drivers. A used Lexus on the other hand is a stellar purchase. But there are good apples and bad apples in every bunch.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00