View Single Post
      08-09-2020, 08:58 PM   #228
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I felt the same until the cars get out of the warranty period then eat away at your mental health for a new light going off every month. Then going to the dealer is a rip off so you go to an independent shop where there are obviously no loaner cars. At a certain point you are spending so much on repairs relative to the value of the car that it's not worth it, not to mention the headaches/anxiety and time wasted that go along with it.
It's just not true though, I mean the thoughts are but they are irrational. Short of lunching an engine, you are always in front on a used off warranty car because depreciation is such a SAVAGE expense, almost noting compares to it.

Case in point, my 9-3 was part of a 18 month period where GM installed poor fitting valves and the repair cost me $1200. Wife is like WE SHOULD JUST LEASE and i'm like IT'S LESS THAN 2 FUCKING LEASE PAYMENTS.

Buy 3 years old, keep for at least 7 years, there's no one you're not in front unless she lunches an engine.

And the whole argument that repairs on a cheap car don't makes sense......doesn't make sense. The value of the car is utterly irrelevant what matters is the replacement cost.

My 9-3 is worth maybe $5k, I spent $1200 in repairs last year as brakes, shocks etc were all due. Replacement cost for an equivalent sized vehicle is bare minimum $500 a month, and even that is stretching it.

Depreciation kills you.
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9704.00
Humdizzle6070.50