12-05-2017, 02:14 PM   #3
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannisa View Post
Hey mate, long time not seen, hope you 're doing great.

You are good to go on that sizes both et and tires dimensions, perhaps even et35 rear for a more flush result.

...but... custom? forged? really? Besides when on 18' mine handled -unfortunately- far better on rft and thus oem would be mandatory for me (that or I 'm just getting older).
Wow, great to see that the forum is still endowed with your presence!

Thanks for confirming the dimensions. And yes, I am really going for this unusual custom order. Reasons being:

1) I want to keep the oem design, but the sizes above are not available from BMW. I really like the oem spoke design in combination with the color of my particular car, and 18" is neither too big or too small for my tastes.
2) I always wished the spokes would be more concave, which will now be possible through custom design with 9.5J instead of 8.5J as the ET is unaltered.
3) I always wanted the rear wheels to be more similar to the front wheels in terms of how they flush with the car. This again should automatically happen as I go up in width.
4) As for the increased front width, I just wanted to stretch out and stiffen my current 225 Yokohama AD08Rs a bit.
5) After 100.000km in China, my original wheels are not very round anymore. One of them also got repaired due to a crack. New oem wheels are very expensive in China, more so than custom-made forged wheels.
6) I have chosen forged wheels as they weigh in at around 8.5kgs (-25% or so below the oems). I am really looking forward to see if I can feel the difference.

As for handling with RFT on 18, I personally only miss the direct steering feel they offered. For me, everything else has improved with the AD08R nonRFTs I currently use. However while my car is still on oem springs (non M sport), I recently switched to Koni FSDs. I like to think these dampers removed the comfort added by nonRFTs, resulting in a more OEM-ish balance of sport and comfort, while not having the weight transfer and un-sprung mass problems associated with heavy stiff tires and soft dampening.
Appreciate 0