05-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #9
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx View Post
I don't agree that the sentiment is that Z4 is a chick's car. I've never heard of that, and I've never seen a Z4 that is driven by a woman. Granted, I don't see that many Z4s to begin with :P

I have to say, I do enjoy the exclusivity though!
Just Google "Z4 Girl's Car" or "Z4 Hairdresser's Car" and you'll find yourself quite some read.

Now, don't get me wrong, I personally think the idea of any car being gender specific is preposterous (however, certain options, like color, can make it more feminine or masculine). But the fact is when the SLK came out, it was branded the hairdresser car, and the Z4 following suit didn't help. My theory is only people who are jealous say it's a girl's/hairdressers car, but regardless that stigma is there.

I don't care, I'll drive a "girl's" car. I think I look super fly driving around town in my bright yellow Z4

And in reference to stigma/perception and VailM3's comment. The idea that convertibles/roadsters are "impractical" also hurt sales in that category as a whole. Vail is spot on in that this specific category of cars see low sales in general, and the Z4 being so high up in the price bracket significantly decrease sales number. After all, we are 1 of the Top 10 worst selling cars in 2012!
Appreciate 0