11-26-2022, 09:09 PM   #128
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
The CC-144 Canadair Challenger 604 used for VIP and general duties It replaced the venerable CC-109 Cosmopolitan, a turboprop version of the older model.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada...9_Cosmopolitan
I have a Cosmopolitan story... or more properly a Convair T-29 story. The US bought the design as both a transport (C-131) and a navigational trainer (T-29) with piston engines. A number were converted for VIP transport duties. (A few were later re-engined with gas turbines.)

In December of 1965 I went home to the Philippines for Christmas with my family. I was a college student and not high on the priority list for military air transport. I got to Hawaii with not too many days until school resumed and was stuck. "Now serving number 45; you are number 325." I somehow managed to hitch a ride on a RNZAF C-130 from Hawaii to NAS Moffett Field south of SF, but needed to get to LA where my ride back to school was waiting. I checked with station air ops and they said a USAF T-29 was leaving for Los Angeles after a while and I could check with the pilot to see if I could get a ride. I approached the pilot and asked if I might hitch a ride and he replied "Sure, get your stuff and get on the plane now and we'll leave just as soon as the general arrives." General? Uh, okay. So I boarded the plane and it was plush -- comfy chairs and tables, etc. Gulp! I made my way back and there were a few regular airline type seats in the back so I had a seat. A few minutes later an Air Force general sauntered back to see what kind of riff-raff he was giving a ride to. (I should mentioned that I was in ROTC my freshman year so I was wearing an Army uniform.) So I took a ride to LAX courtesy of the USAF in a VT-29 VIP aircraft. Made it to school on time, too.
vreihen1615239.50