06-12-2022, 12:52 PM   #8
surfwooder
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 Z4

Garage List
2008 BMW 328IC  [0.00]
2009 Z4  [0.00]
I'd like to chime in on this thread. The BMW E89, was in production from 2009 thru 2016, and was know as the Z4. The basic design is now getting a little "long in the tooth". Since the beginning of production, the E89 has experienced a good bit of problems, but many of them are brought on by owner neglect of watching how the car ages. One problem in particular is the leaking gasket at the oil filter container. This is known to leak, and the oil falls upon the serpentine belt, which weakens the belt and leads to a catastrophic belt failure. Some owner fail to maintain the convertible top. BMW does not have a specific maintenance schedule for the top system. But with so many moving joints, sensors, electric motor in the release from the windshield, and hydraulic motors and pump, and relay system, and basic inspection of wires, and hydraulic hoses. There is always a chance of pinched wires, and hoses. My Z4 is a 2009, and lube all the roof joints every year, and look at every wire and hoses for wear and tear. I don't run my top up and down as much as you would, since I'm in New Hampshire, a much cooler climate than Florida. Knowing the highway system in Florida, as I lived there a few years ago. Many Interstates, and high speed limits, and possibly over speed limit driving. I'd have the dealer change all the fluids, including break fluid. But, special attention to transmission fluid, with flush. Going from a "X" code BMW, to a Z4 you'll be giving up a lot of space to carry stuff, and people. The Z is a true roadster, with only 2 seats, and when the top is down the trunk space is reduced significantly. So you may want to look into a second vehicle. I don't have any experience with the E29 Z4. So, my only prejudice is the soft top. I do know you'd have to keep up the care of the soft top, due to heavy rains, and scorching heat, along with some salt spray. Watch for mildew growth, and treat immediately to save your top from early replacement. Witch ever you choose, E89 or E29, enjoy your new to you BMW Roadster.