shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalJake View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
It doesn't work for everybody. There's so many frickin' variables it's not even funny.

I seemed to be more aligned with 3PedalJake from the brief reading I did. I JUST discovered this sub so bare with me, lol.

I don't count calories or macros either - but understand that this might work for myself and 3pedalJake, but it may not work for everybody. Forget the metabolic differences within our bodies, what about the mental differences? I don't have to "think" or "push" myself to work out / eat right. It just natural occurs. Truthfully I guess I shouldn't say I don't count cals or macros because at some point in time I did so I have a general idea of what I'm consuming on a daily basis, even if I'm not calculating lol. And please, don't get me wrong, there are days (like today) where it's cold and overcast and I probably lagged on working out knowing my ass didn't want to go outside today to do cardio.

In terms of intermittent fasting - I do utilize this to some degree. I say to some degree because it's almost like I'm not doing it on purpose. I don't eat late at night and then the next day I do my cardio and weights while my body is theoretically in a state of fast. I have my breakfast afterwards.

Oh and as for the brain fog / lethargy / whatnot from not eating? Nobodies saying starve yourself but if you think that everyone HAS to eat 3 square meals a day? None of would be here. You think our ancestors had 3 square meals a day with snacks in between of Doritos and beef jerky? Foods become too processed and too much of a comfort. Laziness also plays a role - let's be honest, a handful of cheeze it's taste better than a celery stalk, but ones processed and the other isn't. One will actually do something positive for your body. Point is though, our ancestors didn't get 3 square meals a day. Crash diets, hip diet trends, yoga classes in the pit of an active volcano to help you sweat more from heat and fear of death - it's all gimmicks. You have to find what works for you so you won't get tired of it. My recommendation when people ask (besides some YouTube channels to soak up knowledge from) is start small. Get used to certain things.

1. Cut out soda
2. Reduce sugar intake
3. Reduce processed foods intake
4. More lean meats, less red meats and more fruits / vegetables.

This is beginner level stuff here coming up. This of it as the 80/20 method. Try this 5 days a week for 2 weeks. On the other days you aren't adhering to the above, you can have what you want - in moderations. Some of you would be absolutely stunned what will happy to your cravings and addiction to sweets but cutting it out for just a week or two.

Slightly higher than beginner level would be - just try intermittent fasting for two weeks. 16 hours of not eating. That's crazy you say. Well, you should be sleeping minimum of 8 hours. You gonna tell me you can't survive a few hours without food? Lemme explain. Let's say you stop eating at 7pm. 16 hours would bring you to 11am. You can go to sleep around 10pm, wake up at 8, get ready go to work / school what have you and eat breakfast a few hours later? It's not hard. Your body will be like WTF!! For a couple days and then, it's like second nature truthfully. This is why I find it a bit comical when people freak out at intermittent fasting. It's really just a few hours. The bulk of time is sucked up while sleeping lol.

I can go on and on and on. The important thing to remember is, there isn't one solution for everybody type deal. Everyone's metabolism is different, everyone increases / decreases weight at a different pace, gain / lose muscle at a different pace.

Just please. Don't do the food pyramid, lol. And stay away from processed foods. Sandwich meats. Spam. Hot dogs. (I say this after I had some wagyu beef hotdogs lol)
Foods with LESS ingredients.

All of this is 100% correct, the only thing I can find to comment on is the "starve yourself" part. A lean person is carrying enough fuel for a month, the average 21st century person has months worth. You will not in fact starve on a voluntary fast of any length, but here is the thing that is even harder for ppl to wrap their heads around, you actually have sharper mental clarity and more energy after 3 days without eating if your metabolism is fat adapted. If you think about it, in evolutionary terms, the farther we were from food the more wits and stamina we needed to procure them. When we're sitting on a fat stash the body and brain knows they can throttle down, and they do, and so has everyones almost continuously. I've done 96 hour fasts and TBH the only reason I stopped them is because I like having dinner with Mrs. Jake. I'm sure I could have done a week or more.

As far as it being healthy, I had a EGK recently in prep for some ear surgery, the doc said it was the EKG of a 35 yr old, I'm pushing retirement age.

The important takeaway is everything you've been conditioned to believe is how we're supposed to eat and live in the 21st century is a lie. Do the opposite and you'll be much better off.
This is the kind person who should become Secretary of Health for the country. He's spitting facts and not looking to sell you a get fit quick pill or supplement.

I strongly agree with we're over fed these days truthfully our portions out of control. Look at McDonald's soda sizes from USA vs Japan or USA vs Italy. Portion control is required in this country.

It's impressive and you get kudos for continuing with it all these years. I can only hope and wish that one day I'll be as healthy and as in shape even when I get older.
Appreciate 1
3PedalJake2613.50