Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib View Post
You watch. The season will continue to go down in flames and all the blame will fall on Kaepernick. Ownership will talk about a talented roster that is only a "capable" QB away from competing for titles.

<snip>

I hope Kaepernick can turn it around and play decently, but it's unlikely. What I don't want to see is 49er fans acting like he is the reason this team now sucks. The stench is coming from the top.
I don't think ALL the blame should fall on Kap and do agree that management is the main reason the Niners have gotten so bad.

However, I have never believed that Kap was a suitable successor to Montana and Young; neither was Smith. I thought that Harbaugh switched to him too abruptly (the disrespect to Smith aside) and that he did not have the experience and/or ability to properly lead the team. I believe that this has largely proven to be true. So, I'd add a new QB (if one can be found) to the list of things that the Niners need in order to re-group and become a winning team again.

That said, QB is probably NOT the place to start. They should start by get a better coach and coaching staff and then recruit newer/better players on both sides of the line. If Kap still can't perform with such changes, then he needs to be changed too. The Niners now remind me of the Christensen/Dick Nolan teams of the 1963-1975 and the Marriucci/Erickson/Mike Nolan Singletary/Tomsula led teams from 1997-2010. Unfortunately, I think we are in store for another 12 year era of losing teams while trying out new coaches as has occurred in the past.

Tomsula has never been considered head coach quality; he's only been a fill-in until someone better could be found. So, the new era of losing teams starts w/him and hopefully it won't take too long to find another coach who can turn the team around.

We'll see . . .
Agree with pretty much everything you said except I agree with the qb switch. They almost won the super bowl so I can't question that decision. What is frustrating to me is that with the right move in the front office, the niners could be respectable very soon (2 years). I can live with Kaepernick for another year but they need to either draft or bring in legitimate qb competition. Can't spend another year in limbo.
Appreciate 0