07-19-2023, 10:41 AM   #22
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
The i3 proves that BMW could easily, EASILY make a lighter car, if they still cared enough to put in the effort.

The i3 was 2650 lbs, with a 700 lb battery pack on board.

Build a sedan chassis uses the same CFRP production techniques as the i3, throw in an updated N52 (alu/magnesium block that weighed 328 lbs fully dressed), and you'd have a sub 2500 lb 4 seater with a 300 NA hp that would get better fuel economy than any of the turbo junk they're selling today, that's safer than any car they sell today.

They don't because they don't care anymore, and selling turbo automatic EPS crossovers is easy.

The car described above would be a modern day equivalent of the leap over everything else than the CSL was. It doesn't even have to be stupidly expensive-- i3 prices started in the 40s, and the EV drivetrain was more expensive than the ICE drivetrain. Not the generic standard car with different software. BMW just doesn't care anymore.
Not sure where you got 2650 lbs. but in 2017 C&D had it at 2918 lbs. and the price was $46k ($57k in todays $$), would go 114 miles (considering you can't run it to zero seems really low) in a slow, small electric car. Yes BMW could build a lighter car but it comes with a higher price (or they would have done it). Seems like BMW gave up on this idea and has gone more conventional with all new cars.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...v-test-review/

Last edited by David70; 07-19-2023 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0