Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThugzZ BunnY View Post
lets not act like people would be lining up to buy an EV 3 series when you cant get people to buy the hybrid version and that still has a gas tank for them to feel safe with traveling.
Among the biggest practical advantages of an EV are much lower ownership costs vs. an ICE vehicle. This is not only realized in cheaper day-to-day operating costs, but also with far, far lower maintenance costs coupled with higher reliability. An electric drive system has a tiny fraction of the number of moving parts that an ICE drivetrain does. The difference in complexity between the two isn't just notable, it is outright remarkable.

A hybrid vehicle gives up this advantage, and, in fact, actually makes the situation twofold worse. Not only are you adding another propulsion system to the mix, but the complex integration between the two systems adds significant complexity to the vehicle. Furthermore, the manufacturing costs are compounded.

The hybrid value equation is not there and for any purpose outside of "going green" never will be. And yes, with the state of the art in EV tech today in May 2018, the EV value equation is also not yet there for most. But unlike the hybrid solution, EV's time can and absolutely will come.
The lower maintenance costs are a legitimate issue for long-term owners (until the battery need replacing I guess), but really how much is this an issue/advantage to the person whom only plans on using their car for 3 years/30k Miles?