07-26-2022, 09:47 PM   #12
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by B21 View Post
AFAIK although Bosch make many parts for BMW the wiper blades from Bosch are not OE BMW parts with a Bosch label…

I’ve tried the Bosch versions and then fresh BMW ones..whether it’s a placebo but the BMW wiped more clearly , were quieter andlrss judder…

I’ve used many parts that were clearly BMW parts with a deleted BMW logo but I don’t think this is the case on this item…
Bosch is the OE supplier for the wiper arms on the Z4. I'm assuming they are the only one due to the low volume production of the Z4. (I've only found references to Bosch wipers for the Z4 with a single part number.)

You can buy Genuine BMW or Bosch OE and they are the same part with different branding. But you have to be sure you're getting the OE part.

Bosch also makes many other wipers, some of which are designed to fit a range of cars (it broadens the market and reduces Bosch's costs). A few of these may be labeled for and fit the Z4 but they would not be the same as the OE part. Those would be classified as OEM -- manufactured by the OE manufacturer but not the OE part.

Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between OE and OEM parts. It gets more complicated on models like the 3er and 5er sedans. With their high volume BMW has had multiple OE suppliers for the same part. This can lead to multiple part numbers for essentially the same (interchangeable) part. My last 330i had 3 different suppliers for wipers, Bosch, Valeo, and one other. Usually I just bought whichever one was cheaper at the time. A few times it was the dealer.

I've had good and not so good luck with both Genuine and OE parts.

There are also aftermarket wipers that are available. I would buy them years ago when I had a Chevy S-10. But I've never tried them on my BMWs. But the local parts store says they have Trico and Rain-X arms that will fit the Z4. They're probably OK, but they're not much cheaper so there's no compelling reason to try them.

Gerry