04-30-2021, 02:26 PM   #5208
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Is it just this or overall for goods in the States things have increased in price a lot?
I was in Miami on hols 5 years ago and things were dearer there then than here but then Miami is expensive anyway.
Back in 2019 they were as cheap as they had been for a long time as all the 2013 panic buying had petered out and may people were sitting on huge amounts. We had a good year in 2019, but were not even close to running at capacity.

March 2020 came and that all changed. Last year everyone was running at 100% as hard as you could and still going 2-3 months in the hole each month. We are close to 2 years total backlog now.

And now the perfect storm - housing is raging, shooting industry is raging, Ecars are raging, cars in general are raging and all industry is spooling up - all using copper. Copper crossed $5.50 this week. In my 30 years in the industry I don't remember $5.00 and it walked right past $5 like it was nothing and is still predicted to climb. We just took a 2%-5% increase and will have to take another if this continues. Terrible timing.

So a lot of these extra increases are due to raw material costs. But the 20% increase in primers is materials AND them trying to slow the demand. The world is not shooting 50 times as much - they are just buying 50 times as much. Once they get it to slow a little and people see product on the shelf - they will stop buying everything in sight and the world will start walking back towards a normal supply chain.

Until then - we are all F'ed.
paquet629.50