Thread: New Z4 owner
View Single Post
      09-04-2020, 01:59 PM   #9
eli371
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 m240i

I've had a 2010 35i manual here in Toronto area for about 3 years. First german car. 350z, rx8, boosted civic all sold.

- When time came to change the filter, instead of stock drop in I went with the BMS Dual cone intake, basically same price. I did some looking around and others I considered had reviews saying they disintegrated over time. BMS seems like the go to here. Took about 20 min to install. Ran about $100.

- MHD stage 1 stock will get you 360hp. I went with MHD because the OTS tunes will support me to the 400hp+ mark with bolt ons and the UI is really easy to use. Also, I didn't want a "hard flash" that I would just be stuck with unless I went back to the shop and JB4 was a little more than I needed, since the only real difference was higher price and more features. Nice to be able to flash my car anytime, reset adaptations, tons of monitor gauges etc. Get the MHD wifi adapter, it's worth it, no dangling cable when you're running monitor or logging and it's way faster when flashing. JB4 definitely has some features if you're looking for more features than what the MHD OTS tunes will get you. Lots of safety features to throw the car into limp mode and a valet tune which I thought was neat, among others. For me it just made sense to get MHD then I can always go JB4 if I'm feeling like having those features but in terms of tune I'll likely always stick to MHD OTS tunes. Currently on MHD stage 1 making around 370hp. I'm running 91 and only filling at Shell since it's the only one here with 0% ethanol. I thought about 94 but I decided it wasn't worth being up north or out of town and not knowing where the closest 94 station will be or if there even is one.

- Ignition system. First pull on the highway on stage 1, I was getting misfires on high load high rpm, it was spark blow out. I had someone recommend getting the kit from fcp euro (delphi plugs/ngk 1 step colder) and gap to .022. (or just the plugs if you feel your coils are okay) This was recommended to me from another user after I had looked around for coils/plugs and immediately solved my issue. FCP Euro also recommends the same gap on the plug for a tuned N54. Not sure where you're getting your car from but for what its worth, this is likely worth doing right of the hop.

- I'm currently waiting for my charge pipe and bov from EvolutionRacing. They're the only ones I could find with the HKS flange and bov together and that's the sound I was personally looking for. Otherwise, if you're looking for something softer the go to seems to be VRSF + Tial.

- Next for me is FMIC, this will get me to stage 1+, which is 390hp. Then once I'm ready, all I'll need is downpipes for stage 2+ at 420hp. I'll likely be satisfied at that point as I have zero intention to track my car.

All said and done
-MHD flasher + maps $200
-plugs/coils $250
-intakes $90
-charge pipe + hks bov $650 (The Tial kit was $200 cheaper)
-FMIC, Downpipes not purchased yet but I figure these will run me around $1000.

Extra 60hp for $200-$300 was nice but it didn't take long for me to want more.
So ~$2k USD for 120hp if you can do your own labor. No brainer for me.

Enjoy the car, hope this helped!

Last edited by eli371; 09-04-2020 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0