05-04-2021, 11:32 AM   #20
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
How did it sound?

Take the pipes completely off a Harley, fire it up, and you'll get an idea.

In other words, it sounded like ass.

And without the back pressure? It drove like ass as well.

I found a shop that'll do the repair for $1500-- since my deductible is $1000, it's better to eat the entire amount out of pocket. Ugh.

The muffler shop owner said that he's done about 30 Elements in the past 7 weeks-- one of which was a senior lady who'd parked in a disabled parking spot at a Costco.

WTF? I mean really.

The interesting thing is how good the cuts were-- the muffler shop guy said it was definitely professionals with a serious cutter. He says the amateurs make all sorts of jagged hacks to get the cat loose.

Also, he said that "although it happens", the pro's go for the OEM cats and leave the aftermarket ones alone due to the difference in value for the precious metals inside.

He wanted $500 to put a custom cage on the cat, but I've seen a few online for about $300 that will probably work with the (now) aftermarket cat-- might be a little modification required, but that'll be a good weekend project.

The whole thing is kind of depressing.

R.
Again, sorry you're dealing with this. Is there a reason they go for specific cars, or are all cars potential targets for catalytic converter theft?
Appreciate 0