View Single Post
      11-26-2022, 09:57 AM   #833
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
This is a very polarizing issue as it seems everything has become political. There are the folks who are fully committed to their side of the equation. And then there are the folks who are in the middle, on this issue that is the camp I fall into. We have spend generations developing and living with an O&G based transportation network. The notion that we can switch over to a fully electric system for all systems in the space of about a decade is a bit far fetched.

Will it happen, probably, possibly or maybe. Will it happen in the timeframe being suggested and thrust upon us, well, I am doubtful.
I'm in the middle too. I just want to see a sensible transition plan. What I'm seeing is not sensible. I'm not totally anti EV. Heck, I worked on a project that involved studying EVs being charged in a home setting. One of the cars we tested was the GM Impact/EV1 BEFORE it was available to the public.

The other thing that the fanatical pro EV camp hasn't addressed is the cost and waste of EVs themselves. Excluding power generation or the raw materials mining, there hasn't been a plan centered around long term sustainability of an EV. I looked up some articles which have a general consensus that people are keeping their cars on average of about 12 years. I tried to find a median number but there doesn't seem to be. So that number could shift higher or lower in years. I suspect higher. The cost of EVs continue to go up compared to household income. So the big elephant in the room is what is being done to support an EV where the battery technology becomes obsolete relatively quickly? No one has forced a standard across the EV industry on a standard battery connector and layout. Manufacturers are already saying your SOL if the battery needs to be replaced a few years from now. So you have an EV that say loosely costs around $50k that is for all intents and purposes a disposable car now. Where are the environmentalists on the waste that generates?
Appreciate 3
Cos270608.50
chad86tsi1605.00