View Single Post
      02-07-2023, 08:36 AM   #3532
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeTE87 View Post
The dog is a mini dachshund. We got him from a foster family first week in Sept and he was about 12 weeks old then. So he is about 28-30 weeks old now. He is currently about 10-11lbs.

Their breed is known to have separation anxiety but I didn't know it was this bad. The foster family had other big dogs and he would get along with them great and the foster family's son would let him sleep in the same bed with him every night.

So fast forward to our place, he HAS to see you and if he doesn't..he will run around and whimper until he sees you. You cant go anywhere without him and his whining. For example. My wife was gone during the day recently and I needed to grab some tools from the garage to complete an electrical project I am working on and I wasn't even out in the garage for more than 10secs and you can already hear him scratching at the door and whining. This is every time we leave no matter if it is 10secs or half a day. He hates his cage and I want to put him in his cage every night for bed time. My wife doesn't want to and likes him in bed with us. When I put him in his cage, it sounds like he is tearing down the house and the crying is just too much to the point where I put our throw pillows from the bed over our two vents so we don't hear him crying. Some nights he only cries for a few hours but majority of the nights he cries all night.

We try to play with him as much as we can. He sleeps all day if either my wife and I are home working.

This has been going on since we got him. I am at my wits end and can def tell my blood pressure has gone up because of it.
Dachshunds are tough. We've had 2 of them. They are strong willed, stubborn, and will wear you down. You cant give in. We used to have to put Bella in the basement at night just so we could sleep. if you give in to the whining while they are in their crate you just reinforce that you'll come rescue them if they cry. No different than a toddler. I dont think you needs meds here, you just need consistent training and a ton of patience. Most dachshunds are food motivated so you've likely got that going for you. Start small. Get a baby gate so that you can have the dog in a different room from you but still able to see you. Give him a chew toy treat to keep him busy. Slowly work up to being able to be out of sight. You leave, he gets a treat to keep busy. Try feeding toys and activities that will keep his mind busy at the same time like these. The trick is to start small (you being in a different room but in sight, then in a different room but out of sight. Seconds at a time, then minutes, then hours.) Make the crate a place he wants to be as opposed to a punishment.

Appreciate 6
Esteban43791.50
MoeTE87656.00
Lady Jane70879.00
JJ 911SC22450.00
Dino GT35134.50
ShopVac4053.00