02-06-2023, 12:08 PM   #3523
MoeTE87
OHIO STATE
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritty View Post
How old is the dog and does this happen when you leave the dog alone or all the time? We rescued a 6/month (Portuguese water dog) and it took some time for her to become comfortable staying alone in the house, probably another six months. All dogs are different, so it can be hard to say how long it will take. I have no experience using CBD meds for calming and relaxing dogs, but would be interested on how they would work for me?
This is what helped us with the dog:
1. Make sure you exercise the dog as much as possible - Easier said than done depending on your property and locations. 2. Provide lots of chew toys keep them interested / distracted. 3. Leave the TV on while you are gone. 4. Initially leave in short intervals, say 10min and gradually leave for longer amounts of time. Good luck.
The dog is a mini dachshund. We got him from a foster family first week in Sept and he was about 12 weeks old then. So he is about 28-30 weeks old now. He is currently about 10-11lbs.

Their breed is known to have separation anxiety but I didn't know it was this bad. The foster family had other big dogs and he would get along with them great and the foster family's son would let him sleep in the same bed with him every night.

So fast forward to our place, he HAS to see you and if he doesn't..he will run around and whimper until he sees you. You cant go anywhere without him and his whining. For example. My wife was gone during the day recently and I needed to grab some tools from the garage to complete an electrical project I am working on and I wasn't even out in the garage for more than 10secs and you can already hear him scratching at the door and whining. This is every time we leave no matter if it is 10secs or half a day. He hates his cage and I want to put him in his cage every night for bed time. My wife doesn't want to and likes him in bed with us. When I put him in his cage, it sounds like he is tearing down the house and the crying is just too much to the point where I put our throw pillows from the bed over our two vents so we don't hear him crying. Some nights he only cries for a few hours but majority of the nights he cries all night.

We try to play with him as much as we can. He sleeps all day if either my wife and I are home working.

This has been going on since we got him. I am at my wits end and can def tell my blood pressure has gone up because of it.
DETRoadster11469.50