05-23-2018, 03:02 PM   #67
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
So it will have a torque dip at 4.5k rpm, sound like death and lean itself out over 6k rpm and die regularly on the Autobahn? I'm not saying Subaru always gets their engines right, but I've tried to buy a BRZ a few times and that engine is violently bad, and from what you just said and plenty of what I've read, it's Toyota's oh so brilliant engineers that did all of the bad things.
Well, to be fair, the FR-S/BR-Z engine is not that car's strength -- and it was never intended to be. What's notable is that the engine is about as un-Subaru as a flat-4 with Subaru DNA gets.

Part of what Toyota is plainly angling toward with the Supra's product positioning and marketing is a direct antithesis of what BMW typically angles toward: the aftermarket, both Gazoo-oriented and non-Toyota. If Bxx hardware is in the Supra, it will have to be friendly to that for any of that marketing to work, and for the car to sell as a GR, as a Toyota, or otherwise.

Here's a point not made yet: If the Supra is to be branded Gazoo (GR in the U.S.), you can be damned sure it's not going to put up with M Performance equivalents as Gazoo stand-ins. It's going to develop its own line of aftermarket products not just because the markets for the Supra and the Z4 are very, very different, but also because Toyota would be staking a whole new car brand on it. Remember Scion? Same deal. Toyota did it its way, and it was successful. Why change from that just because it's using someone else's drivetrain hardware?
Appreciate 0