04-01-2021, 09:09 AM   #28
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
I don't understand this perspective. The S58 is more motorsport than what AMG have in the hopper?

If you're an enthusiast, motorsport fan, you'll have the S58 over 7x WCC F1 tech?

AMG have dominated the highest form of motorsport in the world for 7+ years. BMW M is nowhere right now. Torturing their biggest GT into a race car.
The F1 engine is a 1.6L V-6 with pneumatic valves/short stroke to allow it to rev to 15k rpm with poor low end power but then does very well at high rpms. Then has KERS that stores energy to unleash maximum hp and it continues to store and unleash this power multiple times per lap.

No I would not buy a 4 cylinder turbo hybrid AMG because of its' link to their F1 team as I think it is distant. I would drive both vehicles and judge the engines and the rest of the vehicle that I am buying on their own merits.

While an F1 fan I find it difficult to figure a reason to buy from the manufacturer that participates just because they participate as it seems so far away from what they are trying to sell me. While I am sorry to see Honda leave I expect zero differences in the engines they sell to consumers and I still want a Ferrari over a Honda even with Honda seeming to have a far better F1 engine.
AlexFL7837.00