bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Z4 sDrive 35i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiZ4 View Post
In general I'm wondering about your steps to solve the issue:

This thread was started with a hall sensor discussion. After sharing more details, you started to order a new(?) or used)?) CTM.

Up to now I can't follow your steps as the fundamentals are missing.
What is working/moving?
What happens while moving?
What or where does it stop?
Did you already replace the 2 salmon relays?

The fault codes sometimes are misleading and partially wrong!

Hey RobbiZ4. I'm not surprised you can't follow the thought process. What started as a semi-methodical process has digressed into groping in the dark for answers and involves more than just this thread.

The issue began in 2019. I have 2 videos here:

In this video, first the glass stacks on top of the roof and the panel unlocks from the windshield but fails to lift and drop back into the trunk.

Then, in it's "failed" stacked position, I simply re-initiate opening with the fob and it completes the opening normally.

Then I close it and it closes normally.

Then I open it again and it opens completely normally.

In this video, the glass stacks on top of the roof and the panel unlocks from the windshield and fails to lift. I assist it a bit and it completes the rest of the opening sequence normally.

It then closes normally.

After this behavior began, I replaced the salmon relays - Problem persisted.

I tried a basic code reader. No codes.

I took it to an independent shop. No codes. But they took out the pump and cylinders and sent them to TopHydraulics for reconditioning. - Problem persisted.

In 2020, I just tolerated the issue and assisted the top opening when it malfunctioned.

Fast forward to 2021, I decide to revisit the top issue as it seems to be occurring more frequently.

Nobody in the USA that I can find has a diagnostic tool that can pinpoint what is wrong. I reluctantly took it to my local BMW dealer where they replaced the harness. - Problem persisted.

I reproduced the problem multiple times at the dealership and their equipment told them nothing. No codes whatsoever.

I managed to pull one code using BimmerLink which is: A694

This code points to the microswitch in the right side of the windshield. I don't know if this switch is truly the issue or if the system just thinks it's the issue because the roof is not lifting away from it when it should.

To me, I thought it could be a hydraulic pressure issue of unknown cause (pump and cylinders should be in good condition and new harness and why would it only be intermittent?). It could be an issue with the microswitch in the windshield. It could be an issue with the hall sensor in the roof package. Or it could be a bad signal from the CTM.

I chose to swap the CTM simply because I could do it easily myself in a few minutes without having to go back to the dreaded dealership. I hoped that it would not need coding. I felt that the CTM was unlikely to be the issue but figured at least I could check it off my list. Unfortunately it needs coding, so I wasn't really able to rule it out.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited by bryanhoag; 10-20-2021 at 09:12 PM..
Appreciate 0