05-23-2018, 12:51 PM   #55
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post
While I would like to see a $40k Supra (so I can justified the purchase to the SO), it has never been a cheap a car. I also think a $40k 250hp Supra would also be DOA. Would people really buy it over the base $30k 332hp 370Z?
I agree with mkoesel : There's a lot more competition in the $50k+ range than there is in the $35-$40k range ...

... case in point: The 370z you mention above. It's a 9-year-old design that Nissan shows little to no signs of replacing, and it uses a motor that was never well suited to the platform. Despite the 330-odd HP, it behaves more like an engine for a larger car and was far better matched to the Infiniti G35/37.

Besides: If Toyota really wanted to use NA engines across the new Supra range, it has any number of Lexus engines to choose from -- and heck: it could still do that in, say, the hybrid version. Problem is, none of the Lexus engines are well suited to the Supra platform because, well, most of them are based on old tech -- much like the 370z powertrain. See the problem?
Appreciate 0