View Single Post
      08-02-2017, 02:32 PM   #152
Bstears
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 35I

So I disassembled the the area around the rear subwoofers, following that the post, which was so helpful. I didn't completely remove the large carpeted panel that covers the rear subwoofers as it has extensions under the center console and it seemed like I would break something to pull it completely out. But by unboltong it and releasing the tabs, it has plenty of movement in it. I put some sound deadening on the metal panel behind the subwoofer area just for good measure. After switching the factory woofers out of the housings and putting the new bavsound ghost woofers into the housings with a new seal, I installed the housings back into the car. I turned the system on before putting all the panels back together and quickly realized two things: one is that the bavsound ghost woofers definitely sound better, but still distort pretty easily. Maybe the new amp will help with this. Right now I'm using the stock amp. The second observation is that the bavsound woofers move more air because I got the annoying whistling sound when they would it hard. At first I thought the seal around the speakers must be leaking, but when I removed the housing from the car, the whistling stopped. I then considered a leak from the housings to the car where there is a space used for air flow. A new seal there didn't stop it either. I went to the trunk area where it sounded the loudest and put my finger over an empty bolt hole and the whistling stopped. I closed it with some sound deadening. Today I will install the rest of the stage one speaker upgrade and put the car back together!
Appreciate 0