View Single Post
      07-07-2022, 12:13 AM   #5
Zed4USA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW Z4 sDrive28i

Alas, I do not have a strut capacitor, Dr. Brown... where we're going, we won't need roads. Yeah, what you're describing is way above my pay grade. I wish it wasn't, as it sounds fun.

See, 50k miles and just now your front struts are leaking. Why are mine leaking at 17k?

I hear what you're saying about the adaptive modes, but friend… when we are on the on-ramp of the highway with no one around, and I switch from comfort to sport, she is like a cheetah let off her leash, pulling forward and purring all the way...

Regarding the tires, I've already put in an order for Pirelli P Zero RFT summers. I know I'm in the minority here, but I really like the Pirelli Sottozero II RFT winters that I've had for the last couple of years in the colder months.

For the record, my off-season wheel+tires are washed, dried, and then vacuum sealed for their rest. And my on-season wheels+plus tires rest comfortably in the garage on my car.

I appreciate your thoughts, thank you for taking the time to reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray7792 View Post
Its pretty easy getting the strut assembly off the car, should have no issues there...maybe some rusty tight bolts. As long as you have a spring compressor and a good impact wrench, getting the springs off/on the strut will be simple as well. No coding needed if you're replacing with adaptive struts. Definitely get an alignment as well.

I've had my 2014 35is for 5 years and just hit 50K miles and funny enough my front struts just started leaking a little bit as well but otherwise I've had no issues. For me sport/sport+ is pretty useless...so I'm personally going route of getting set of coilovers. FCP euro has the front adaptive struts at about 850 each which isn't worth it to me but if you like to retain OEM thats understandable.

In regards to comfort, the non adaptive suspension falls somewhere between comfort and sport. I doubt that you'd notice a difference, and if its leaking that badly new struts would help considerably either way. Getting rid of the OEM runflats would make a world's difference as well.

Your first two issues are unfortunate but that TCU issue you mentioned sounds very sketchy...I don't know enough to say for certain but just because firmware is out of date doesn't mean it would just go off the rails suddenly.

By the way, I think most manufacturers don't recommend using a tire older than like 6-8 years. Compound degrades over time especially if left in sunlight often. Don't want to end up like Paul walker...bit exaggeration but you know, be careful.
Appreciate 0