12-04-2021, 07:18 AM   #9
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyATL View Post
Im in the same boat. I don't think prices are going to normalize for a while. The dealers are now hooked on msrp deals and are making a mint in this environment.

So, i took the 4k in equity they offered on my expired.0.45% lease to buy something new. Better to get some equity vs buying out a lease that is $5k under water in a typical market.

Im putting half down and planning to keep the car a little longer so it still feels like a lease from a payment perspective.

We just got an offer on my wife's x3 for 7k over buyout while her 0.8% lease expires in August. Thinking hard about taking it as that plus 2k from penfed and .5k loyalty, 9.5k off a 60k replacement is a solid deal, even in a normal market.

These are strange times, but while the market may or may not normalize soon, rest assured that bmw will continue increasing prices and/or decontenting their offerings to keep up with inflation and lending rates are likely to move up as well.
I dunno I feel like once demand begins to fizzle out, the prices will begin to normalize as well. Currently there's pent up demand because people weren't buying as many cars in 2020 (supply was equally diminished of course so that's why we didn't see crazy discounts in 2020). So all those people who didn't purchase cars in 2020 are now purchasing cars in 2021 - supply is still low, so dealers have the luxury of charging pretty much what they want.

There's another issue that I'd have to consider. If I order a car now, it'll be several months before it's delivered. That gap in months (where I would need to keep my car because.... I need a car) would expose me to risk. If I get into a car accident between now and when I'm supposed to take delivery of the new car, even a fender bender, that'll diminish the resale value of the car. I have PTSD because this exact scenario happened when we had ordered our X5... literally a month before delivery my wife got into a fender bender in the RX and that knocked $1k off the resale value.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0