View Single Post
      08-13-2020, 08:38 AM   #2474
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahh View Post
Just getting into the gym for the first time in my life (for lifting) at age 28 . I've always had a slim build (grew up playing soccer) and maintained a pretty good weight 6'3" ~180. Since moving away from my apartment in the city near the river a few years ago, I've stopped running, but still drinking and eating carelessly. I hit 220 lbs during covid and I've decided to start going to the gym regularly. I'm about 5 weeks in and I got at least 4 days a week focusing pretty much solely on lifting vs cardio. Starting to see some real results has been motivating. However, I am having trouble with deadlifts, any of you taller guys out there have similar issues? I just can't get the motions down and I feel like my legs are always in the way.
If you're not training to be a competitive powerlifter, there's nothing wrong with starting out with sumo deadlifts. I'm 6'4 and found sumo was a good way to learn the lift. You will still learn proper back form and get the CNS adaptations. Once you have the upper form down it's not hard to transition back to traditional deadlifts.
Appreciate 0