08-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #29
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Carbon View Post
+1 on this advice. However, do not discount Tag just because they are popular with the masses. I own many watches and I would rate my Formula 1 high on the list as far as quality and function especially at this price point.
TY. I have recently learned that Tag does make some watches of note, but none could generally be described as affordable. And of those notable watches Tag makes, not one is one I'd suggest someone buy as a "first watch" or "only watch," for at the price point in question ($3K - $6K) there are any number of wiser choices, not the least of which is any of several Rolexes if one must get have a big-name brand or a JLC (even a used one) if one merely wants serious watch credentials.

I like the Formula 1's looks. I have one, but I wish I'd bought a Daytona instead. At the time, I wasn't really seeking to have a watch collection of some merit. I was just buying watches that looked appealing to me. But then if one just wants to buy a watch that looks good to them, whose advice does one really need? After all, it's all but impossible to buy a watch these days that doesn't keep good time.

Tag isn't alone in being what I would call a "fun" watch. Many of the most heavily advertised brands fall into this category: Seiko, Citizen, Timex, Movado, Raymond Weil, Gucci, and scads others. Now don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against them as "fun" watches but trying to say one is better horologically speaking than the other is about like trying to say a basic Ralph Lauren pinpoint oxford is better than on by Brooks Brothers or Joseph Banks or Nordstrom's. If there's something about one of them, about the process you go about obtaining it, that you like, fine, but that one. But don't buy it thinking one has bought a shirt that is noteworthy for some or other reason.

I'm not especially negative on Tag, per se. I just feel that the majority of what they offer falls into that category of "somewhat expensive, but of no particular note." There's certainly nothing wrong with them. They work. They are durable. They do come in a wide variety of styles. I think any of them is fine if one just wants to spend the money and buy it because one likes the look of it.

As I suggested above, I have nothing to offer if the watch's looks are the sole factor that matters to someone asking. So, I wrote from the standpoint of trying to suggest watches that are somewhat distinctive -- besides just appearance and/or brand name, or maybe not even that at all -- and in a range of prices that I think most folks would consider affordable, and a few that step into the realm of not really inexpensive/affordable, but, as watches of some note go, not expensive either. In short, good starting choices if one wants to build a collection of some merit.

Lastly, M3Carbon, I realize you weren't in any way assailing me or my post above. I just felt obliged to respond because I have observed on B-post that Tags are insanely popular. I wanted to be be clear that though I specifically suggested not seeking a Tag vintage watch, and I didn't mention Tag as a choice to consider, there are circumstances in which I think a Tag is a reasonable choice. Indeed, out of all the watches I call "fun watches," Tag is the brand I'd look to first. However, were I of modest means, and knowing that the <$2K watches Tag offers are horologically no better or worse than any other "fun watch," I'd also check around for a Citizen or Seiko or other brand that costs less and looks about the same. Nobody needs me or anyone else to tell them not to buy, or not buy, a $1000-$2000 watch that looks like no other and it's just the watch they like and want.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0