View Single Post
      08-22-2019, 10:39 AM   #100
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
I get that. I only loosely paid attention to BMW across the decades. At least since 2000, I've always considered BMW to me a 'good' sports car. Their reputation was always that their cars were too soft to be great sports cars and too sporty to be great tourers. There's nothing wrong with that, and I certainly see the appeal of the halfway car.

I can't really think of a BMW that was ever the pinnacle of anything in the auto industry because they've always had that underlying luxury focus with few exceptions. I think in general, cars are getting worse for 'track' use but I don't think most cars were ever meant to be for track use, they were just easier to tune/modify/tinker.

I get your hesitation to buy though. BMW doesn't make that many products that I'm actually interested in. I only ended up in the 135i because of it's bang for the buck speed in a leather coat. haha.
Yeah, I honestly don’t think most people know the difference of having an M badge on a BMW, anyways. Even a $130k BMW won’t have the prestige of a Porsche, or maybe even a Mercedes, to most of the public. I’m actually ok with that. “Peacocking” around in a Porsche was my least favorite thing about those cars. People are constantly looking and noticing a Porsche, but BMWs fly under the radar. Reminds me of the old “Whispering Bomb” BMW 2002 review from the ‘60s, which is a good thing, IMO. I like a sleeper.

I was never a huge BMW fan, but I bought a 135i, because Porsche doesn’t make a small coupe with a real backseat, and I wanted to mod it myself, so the 1M’s collector used prices didn’t make sense. Now that I’ve put so much thought and work into my 135i, I think I’ve grown to love it more than my former Porsches by making it my own, and I wouldn’t trade it for an M car.

In terms of badging, I debadged my car like usual, and I even took the little Ms off the wheels, but I don’t mind the few little Ms in the interior.

Last edited by duder13; 08-22-2019 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0