View Single Post
      10-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #9
tommylotto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW Z4 sDrive28i

Before I bought the 8.8" unit, I made cardboard cut-outs of the exact dimensions of both the 8.8" unit and the 10.25" unit. The 10.25" unit was too big. When placed centered in the radio bay, the screen would touch the cupholder. The mounting system would allow you to shift it towards the driver's side. So, you could get it to fit, but then it would look off-center. Also, the 8.8" and 10.25" units are the exact same resolution. So, you are not really getting any more desktop space -- just more visible pixel sizes. Also, the 10.25" unit would not fit in the dash compartment like you are contemplating. It is just too big.

Let me know how your install goes. Your solution might be superior to mine. I wanted a back-up camera and CarPlay, which I now have, but I'm not too fond of the Joying radio app. It's no big deal, because I use the iHeart Radio app and the SirriusXM app in CarPlay for radio. However, keeping the stock radio and running the Joying through the AUX is a pretty good idea that I never thought of.

Though, the position in the radio bay might still be better for using the touch screen. It's right there next to your hand on the gear shift. So, it is handy. Whereas putting the screen in the dash compartment might involve a reach.
Appreciate 0