TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I don't know. If we look at the giant leap AMR has taken this year...
Last years they were pretty much bottom feeders and now they're the 2nd team. If they keep up their progression pace, they will rival RB next year for sure.
Without the cost cap that wouldn't have been possible. In the past, top teams had budgets of 600 million, where smaller teams had to do with maybe 100-150 million.
Now I think all teams can more or less get to the maximum budget.

That one team is going to lead with some margin will always be the case in an open class. If you don't want that, you have to make it into some cup racing class where all the cars are the same. Like indy, or formula E.

I think the cost cap for sure has brought teams more together.
It's still an open class, but the means with which you can develop a car are more the same. You get a specified amount of fuel (energy), a specified amount of money, same tyres and a rulebook.
AM is the most improved manufacturer on the grid by far, but their improvement really is relative to everyone else, not to Red Bull. AM could arguably best of the rest but they’re still ways off of Red Bull and I don’t think they will make up the gap or make any signicant leaps to Red Bull this season.

I remember reading this somewhere, and don’t know how valid it is today or if it’s even remotely accurate but it’s said that to make up a a tenth of a second, you would have to spend almost 10 million to upgrade your car and that’s assuming everyone doesn’t improve so how much can you really do within a season to really narrow a gap to the next fastest car especially with a cost cap?
Appreciate 0