View Single Post
      02-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #6
da91
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [0.00]
im not sure how much credibility this source has, but i just found this so i'll put it up anyway:

BMW will be converting the Z4 into a coupe-convertible with a folding metal hardtop when it introduces the next-gen model in early 2009. Recent spy shots of a prototype testing new Munich showed a car with a familiar shape to the current Z4. Short rear overhangs and a long hood characterized the test-mule but it also featured a new folding roof and was slightly larger than the current model. This is in-line with BMW’s plans to reposition the next Z4 into a higher price point as it makes way for the introduction of a smaller entry-level Z car.
As reported yesterday, production of the new Z4 will be handled by BMW’s Regensburg plant in Germany. The move will enable BMW to produce volume sellers, such as its SUV models, in the US and take advantage of the favourable exchange rate. At the same time, low volume premium models like the new Z4 will be manufactured at plants in Germany.
A couple of years after the Z4 is launched in ‘09, BMW will add the potent M version of the car. This new model is in-line to receive the new high-rev 4.0L V8 engine that debuts in the new M3. Other engines for the new Z4 range will include the 300hp twin-turbo six, as well as the smaller 2.5L naturally aspirated petrol six.
This artist’s rendition of the car gives us a good indication as to what the final styling may look. BMW is expected to introduce styling derived from the CS concept across much of the range and this should also be visible on the Z4.