View Single Post
      10-09-2023, 05:07 PM   #1
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, CTS-V, AMG GT S, Tesla

Question X1 M35i or AMG GLA 35?

Hi all!

Has anyone had some seat time in the X1 M35i? (I'm guessing no due to how new it is...) Does it still have a decent balance of ride comfort and sporty handling like the F48 X1 did with M Sport suspension?

I ask because I recently had an AMG GLA 35 as a Mercedes service loaner and thought it did a pretty good impression of a hot hatch like a Golf R. But the GLA 35 looks are enough of a turn-off to drive me away.

Like the X1 M35i, the GLA 35 has an exciting ~300hp turbo-four powering all four wheels, adjustable suspension, and some racy cabin trimmings. It had a great pace and handling composure on my favorite backroads, through I wish the AWD system shoved more power to the rear wheels for a RWD (or Focus RS) like feel.

As a daily, the GLA 35 was plenty comfy and has a nice infotainment system. I don't think it's as practical as the X1, though, as its body shape is more hatchback than SUV. The rear seats and trunk aren't as large as I'd like.

Speaking of body shape, the GLA 35 is fairly blobby and shapeless; sometimes I wonder if BMW's current trend of over-styling is a reaction to Mercedes under-styling! That said, I still like the BMW exteriors better.

(I did a full writeup on the GLA 35 here.)

Anyway, if anyone's been in the X1 M35i I'd love to hear about it. It seems like a cool X1 that finally got the power it deserved!

Best,
Mike

Last edited by 414bhp; 10-09-2023 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 0