05-12-2021, 03:22 PM   #67
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
Our former e70 with third row had airbag suspension. And a 6,000 lb towing capacity. It decimated any in its class for the money. Our newer f15 is diesel and with the appropriate hitch, 7,700 lbs. we do tow, but nothing above maybe 3500. Most in the same mid sized suv class that would be the max capacity which would be unwise. As for mini vans, I find them emasculating and ugly as sin. All of them. The right sporty sporty suv offers much more than any van and sadly some sedans. To refute that is ignorance at its finest.

Picture for reference. About 4500 lbs on this trailer.
Was referring more to the mainstream 3-rows that dominate the highways...Telluride, Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, etc. The dominant mommy-mobiles currently. None of them top 5,000 pounds capacity.

Enter into the BMW/MB/Porsche realm of SUVs, and we are talking about an entirely different set of driving dynamics and capability entirely. Did not intend those to be included in the wagon comparison.

With a choice given between the current hot topic crossovers and the afore mentioned wagons, for <5,000 lbs to tow, I'd rather have the wagon.

Appreciate 1