View Single Post
      02-01-2022, 04:04 PM   #100
AR_Motorwerkz
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4, BMW WIDEBODY F13

Quote:
Originally Posted by proboner View Post
So when we last left off the flanges and 2 additional 30* 2.5" mandrel bends had arrived. I'd already created the front y-pipe, so now it was just a matter of mounting the flanges, cutting the 30* elbows to the correct length, finding the correct placement for the y-pipe so it turns towards the exhaust tunnel correctly, lining all that up with the additional 90* bend sending the exhaust towards the rear of the car once again, and then making sure there's enough space to make that turn and fit the catalytic converter. Easy right? Not really.

I won't get into what a PITA this was, but it took many hours to get it all just right and not create a huge mess for myself. Exhaust systems past, I'd not really paid a ton of attention to gaps between pipes, and it caused a welding nightmare, not to mention it surely flowed like poop. I did my absolute best to have each pipe butt up perfectly and use the fewest pieces of pipe to hopefully help things flow as efficiently as possible. Long story short, here's what I ended up with:

Buttoned it all up, put her down on the ground, and damn. I'm actually super happy with it! Here's the obligatory video I create for every exhaust related thing I do:

It's actually a little quieter than the last iteration, surely due to the added catalytic converter, but IMO it sounds much more refined and of course helps not having leaks everywhere. But the biggest difference is in how it drives. It could just be in my head, but I feel like power delivery is sooo much smoother. It revs more freely and I swear it makes a noticeable amount more torque in mid rpms. Thing is a freight train in 3rd gear starting at 3k-4krpm at 2/3 throttle.

OH! And my custom license plate FINALLY came, as you can see in the videos. It literally came yesterday and I ordered in back in April 2021!

9 month wait for this thing, but I the car is really starting to feel complete. Of course that will pass, haha! I foresee an experiment with trying to remove the cat and see how much louder it is.

Anyways, good times! See you on the next post.
Nice exhaust work man! Glad that it's coming along!
Appreciate 0