02-07-2023, 08:56 AM   #3533
MoeTE87
OHIO STATE
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Dachshunds are tough. We've had 2 of them. They are strong willed, stubborn, and will wear you down. You cant give in. We used to have to put Bella in the basement at night just so we could sleep. if you give in to the whining while they are in their crate you just reinforce that you'll come rescue them if they cry. No different than a toddler. I dont think you needs meds here, you just need consistent training and a ton of patience. Most dachshunds are food motivated so you've likely got that going for you. Start small. Get a baby gate so that you can have the dog in a different room from you but still able to see you. Give him a chew toy treat to keep him busy. Slowly work up to being able to be out of sight. You leave, he gets a treat to keep busy. Try feeding toys and activities that will keep his mind busy at the same time like these. The trick is to start small (you being in a different room but in sight, then in a different room but out of sight. Seconds at a time, then minutes, then hours.) Make the crate a place he wants to be as opposed to a punishment.

Awesome advice! That actually helps a lot and will start working on it asap. Yes, he is def food motivated.

I like that pad with the peanut butter. Might be something very helpful. We have the red toy. Haven't tried that yet.

Thank you!
DETRoadster11469.50