View Single Post
      08-23-2019, 08:17 AM   #756
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Dog owners, have you ever thought about how effective your dog would be in the case of a home invader? I mean, someone breaking into your house in the middle of the night. Anyone have any experiences? I think my golden doodle might bark but then would probably start wagging her tail. My shepard I don't know
I'm 100% certain our 2 miniature dachshunds would raise holy hell until the intruder got in, at which point they'd (hopefully) run and hide instead of getting punted across the room. I have a Nest cam set up to watch them during the day and any time someone even walks up onto the front porch to drop off a package, not even knocking or ring the bell, its on. They both shoot out of their beds and run to the door barking. Great "alert dogs", terrible "attack dogs."

We were camping last weekend, sitting around the campfire after dark with the dogs and a pack of 5 or 6 little girls went running through our campsite chasing each other. In a flash Sophie (all 11 pounds of her) shot off my wife's lap and went after them with her most ferocious bark. The girls all screamed and scattered with one of them running head first into a boulder that must have hit her mid thigh. She folded over it like a taco. Never saw the thing coming in the dark. Lots of screaming and crying ensued while Sophie sat 2 feet away barking and not making the situation better. Thankfully she was on a 20' lead that lets her roam the campsite but not wander off. I'm pretty sure she might have bit the kid if she had caught her in all the excitement. So yeah, they definitely will alert us to an intruder but are completely ineffective beyond that unless the intruder is a 7 year old kid.

Last edited by DETRoadster; 08-23-2019 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7555.50