Thread: Top issues
View Single Post
      03-18-2019, 03:51 PM   #11
Madscott
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaPilot View Post
Update- New hydro units are almost non-existent for the E89 now and are nearly $3300 if you can find one. Price was quoted from several dealers and none could have one in less than 6 months. I found a place that specializes in rebuilding BMW top hydro units and actuators as well as those on many other makes. The E89 unit is $600 for a rebuild and is warrantied for 3 year AND doesn't have to be re-coded to work with the car when it's reinstalled.

www.tophydraulics.com

Thanks for that link! Day before knee surgery, my 2009 top started with a hiccup , then completely dead with top down and rain moving in. I have a carport , but no garage. Took it to Local BMW (froze my ass off) and they said water in trunk fried the pump and control module. They wanted north of $5k to repair. They did the emergency top thing, said they broke the screws, so they will have to be replaced before the top functions again, but the top is up. They also scratched the bottom of panel 2 , as it looks like they were using pry bars on the bottom of the panel and it scratched the paint. Not noticeable unless you look, but still unprofessional. I wasn’t thinking clearly from surgery drugs, or I would of told them to diagnose and fix the leak. But, looking for parts on my own, I Found a used hydro unit for $2k. This link sounds good, will save a ton of money, now I have to find a trusted local shop!
Appreciate 0