02-27-2019, 03:04 AM   #56
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylotto View Post
Using Unichip assumes you have a stock iDrive screen to begin with. If not, you need to add a screen somewhere.

Adding an AVIN-type screen on top of the dash is certainly a viable solution for those without iDrive. However, I am conflicted. I added an 8.8" horizontal screen head unit from Joying in the center stack where the radio originally was. I'm not sure which location is better. The lower screen is more handy as a touch screen (it is right there where your hand rests on the gear shifter), but it requires you to look down further from the road. The screen on top of the dash is more along your line of sight, but it is quite a reach to use as a touch screen. If you can add an iDrive-like selector dial that will work with CarPlay, that will make the location of the screen on the dash less of an issue.

Then it becomes a purely aesthetic issue. What is preferable, putting a non-retractable screen on top of the dash, or putting a floating screen screen smack dab in the middle of the dash? YMMV
I'm currently awaiting my unit from China (AVIN USA's supplier) to arrive, then I'll give it a full review. To aid this I'll also be receiving a trial of the iDrive controller as the production one isn't quite ready yet. Now as they use these on the e90 (and others) then it'll only be a case of trialling the fitment as opposed to how it works. There are videos out there that show the e90 version being fully controlled via the iDrive controller including Apple Car Play, so I have no doubt that this version will be spot on as well. You do have to buy a separate Android Auto/Apple Car Play dongle, but you can pick these up via eBay for around $/£20 - 30

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0