View Single Post
      02-26-2019, 03:57 PM   #53
tommylotto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW Z4 sDrive28i

Using Unichip assumes you have a stock iDrive screen to begin with. If not, you need to add a screen somewhere.

Adding an AVIN-type screen on top of the dash is certainly a viable solution for those without iDrive. However, I am conflicted. I added an 8.8" horizontal screen head unit from Joying in the center stack where the radio originally was. I'm not sure which location is better. The lower screen is more handy as a touch screen (it is right there where your hand rests on the gear shifter), but it requires you to look down further from the road. The screen on top of the dash is more along your line of sight, but it is quite a reach to use as a touch screen. If you can add an iDrive-like selector dial that will work with CarPlay, that will make the location of the screen on the dash less of an issue.

Then it becomes a purely aesthetic issue. What is preferable, putting a non-retractable screen on top of the dash, or putting a floating screen screen smack dab in the middle of the dash? YMMV
Appreciate 0