03-31-2019, 08:28 AM   #19
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
The Z4 has an emergency mode but it just isn't practical for most people. You use some sort of long extension pole/handle that reaches up into each corner near the hinges and crank it open manually. But I think there is quite a bit of disconnecting things to get to that point.
Can someone link a how to guide or a dealership document on this emergency mode? i live rather far from Bmw dealer and if needed i would like to know the procedure.

I have had an issue once before. I was rather sick that day and wasnt paying enough attention probably because of that. Came to the parking lot after a meeting and threw my bag to the trunk... pulled the tray down because i fancied a topless drive.. maybe it made me feel better. Any way i did not notice a Meguiars paste wax box laying on the side of the trunk where the labels say not to put luggage. That box was mostly black so did not stand out.

When lowering the roof it of course got in the way and my roof stopped..Had an error on the dash to check for blockages. found that box and removed it but still the roof would not move. Had the trunk part up in the air and roof halfway in the trunk in a big public parking lot like a fool.
Tried locking the car and moving the key far away from the car hoping it would shut everything down and the roof would reset itself.. Did not work. Still had an error message.
Cant disconnect the battery as its in the trunk under the stuck roof.
After an hour i had enough and called for a tow truck. Luckily it happened in the city where the main BMW dealer is located not where i live.

Towed my Z4 (still trunklid up in the air and roof stuck) through the city to the dealer. At the dealer when the tow truck driver had dropped the car back on its wheels i tried one last time if the roof would move. And it actually did. On the first time roof did not clamp in to the a pillar as the claps were wrong way round... already clamped up. Lowered my roof fully and had it come back up. This time it worked fine all closed up. Tried numerous times lowering and raising the roof to see if it had any problems. it did not. All was fine again. Guys at the Dealer were making jokes that my car got scared of them and started working again.

Anyway my roof has been good since that little adventure. 2 years+ or so.

Always check the sides of the trunk before lowering your roof!

If that had happened where i mostly drive and live it would have meant a 250km tow to the dealer on a highway with the roof halfway stuck.

Because i have experienced a problem like this i would love to know how to manually put up my roof even if it is difficult and not for the average user.

Last edited by KennyP; 03-31-2019 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0