View Single Post
      03-30-2019, 01:58 PM   #17
Madscott
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Well here’s my top saga....

I took my 2012 into the dealer because of what I perceived to be a sticky top latch. The roof was having issues with properly locking closed (the two front claw-like appendages). The roof was opening and closing just fine. Now, a week later, they are telling me there was water in the trunk and that’s what caused my roof motor to go bad.

I was a bit confused because my top has been opening and closing just fine until I dropped it off at the dealer. The dealer then tried to tell me that the reason the two claws are not engaging properly is because the motor in the trunk is going bad!!! That’s a big WTF for me because, my roof is still going up and down like a champ, just not locking closed and I know there’s a small motor in the roof that works those claws open and closed.

I do some research and see the entire top roof motor assembly and claws for less than $200. They are quoting me over $4,000 to replace the trunk motor and the seals that caused it to leak.

My contention is that just replacing the motor in the trunk still won’t fix my issue, and also, this is a known design flaw, and I feel BMW should do the right thing and fix the motors anyways. It’s a poor design that allows water to get to the motor.

I’ve told the dealer to just give me my car back and I will fix it myself. Now they are telling me to wait as they investigate further. I’ve been going back and forth with BMW all day... I’m thinking of taking their brand new X3 loaner to Vegas for the weekend.

Arggggghhh...
I would venture to say what you found for $200 is the motor to un latch the roof at the windshield. The one in the trunk is the hydraulic unit to actually open and close the retractable top . Your problems are like mine . My top worked fine, then it didn’t. When I actually finally got it to move, it closed, put the pump was not strong enough to push the top the last inch or so onto the windshield so that it would latch, although it looked closed. just the opposite when putting it back down. The boot never closed completely
Appreciate 0