View Single Post
      08-27-2019, 11:26 AM   #196
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
I disagree because right now the space is so damn crowded. I believe BMW isn't stealing Merc/Audi customers, they are stealing Hyundai/Lexus/Toyota customers because they are only marginally more expensive and have a nicer badge. In the long run the lack of quality will reveal itself and the brand will get dumped. At least at one point you could say that BMW always had the sportiest feeling generic SUVs and non-M models. Now they're soft and boring.
I was answering your comment on BMW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
….BMW should double down on "the ultimate driving machine". Steal any customer who actually wants to drive rather than just show a badge off. RWD, manual transmissions, best in class steering feel, 50/50 weight, lots of noise and drama.
Do you really think there are enough customers out there wanting the more hardcore vehicle these days? Enough to turn the clock backwards for BMW?

I have my doubts. When you read some of the customer reviews and how they felt BMW models, (of a couple generations back), rode too hard, lacked comfort, etc. The writing was on the wall, for BMW to soften the cars. I see it that BMW responded to customer demand. A few vocal enthusiasts and road testers didn't like the new direction. Many users see an improvement in what they want from BMW. Now we see such things as the infotainment system, often being the deciding factor of what brand to get into. I see a changed motoring world, changing as we move forward, but not in the direction of the past.

I may be wrong, but reading some of the technical press, which looks at the wider transport market, BMW (or any of the other marques) won't be going back to the good old days. We are in a different era. M-cars are the models, to fill the need of the hard core driver. The M-performance models bridge the divide.
Appreciate 4
clee1982797.50
heavyD^23688.50
F32Fleet3566.00