View Single Post
      05-05-2020, 10:35 AM   #1
eli371
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 m240i

Flashing CEL out of storage

Hey everyone,
I've had my 2010 Z4 Sdrive35i for 4 years, has about 70k miles. This has been my first non JDM car but I love it. Unfortunately it's not as easy as working on B and D series honda engines, or even the Renesis, so here goes:

This year I brought it out of storage this year and car went immediately into limp mode (Engine Malfunction warning). Had a ton of electrical work done by the dealer, basically rewired the whole car. Rodent damage, claimed it through my comprehensive insurance since they wanted $8k. Unfortunately last year my living situation changed and I no longer had a garage, so I had to store it in one of those car ports.

After getting the car back, I've noticed on some starts (usually cold starts, early morning) the revs will bog down from 1100 to 700ish after a few seconds of starting, and I'll get a flashing CEL for about 10 seconds, then it goes away. Car runs/drives fine afterwards though. Since this wasn't an issue before I stored it, the dealer offered to take a look and diagnose to see if it was related to the recent electrical work.

Basically they said there was no code and they had to recreate the flashing CEL to check it. The diagnosis was that one of my injectors was "malfunctioning", but they would need to change all 6 because of the "indexing". My car has "index 7" injectors and the only ones they can get are "index 11" I was told. This is going to run $5k.

Just wondering if there's anything I should try before handing it to them. I rarely drive the car, I work from home so I maybe get 4,000 miles a year in it. Should I be worried in the interim? Not drive the car? Anyone experience anything similar? Any other options? Is it worth the hassle of finding a part out and replacing the one injector?
Appreciate 0