01-04-2019, 02:42 AM   #1
Ben__980
Registered
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 23i

Z4 23i e89 steering issues

Hi everyone,
I am Ben and I write from Italy. Almost two years ago I bought a wonderful Z4 that I love. However, I would like to talk to you about a steering problem that has been afflicting my car for months now.

Summarizing: about 1 year ago, after having taken a bump, I began to feel that the steering had become light and inconsistent (to be clear as if the speed increased did not correspond to a "hardening"). For every imperfection of the road surface (and in Italy there are many), off it resulted in a deviation of the steering wheel to the right or left.
In sports mode the situation got even worse because the steering as well as "soft" became even more responsive making the car unmanageable (on the highway is scary). I also realize that the steering seems to have a dead angle too accentuated (see video)

I state that the machine does not give any kind of alarm / warning light.

First I brought the car to the tire shop (I had to change tires anyway): new wheels (Pirelli Pzero) perfect convergence, perfect camber, perfect rods (the car goes straight as a sword).

I was not convinced and so I took the car to BMW assistance where, after trying it, they tell me "everything is in order, it's normal". I try to resign myself (maybe it was a wrong feeling) but the doubt remained.
After a month I decided to take the car to another authorized workshop where, after a test drive, the tester told me that, in fact, something was wrong and told me to leave the car for a check. They called me the next day telling me they had found an error in a steering sensor and that I had updated the steering ECU.
After a first test the car "seemed" to go better (even if the feeling was not really what I imagined).

After a few days again and this time, in the absence of alarms or warnings, I decide to tell my brain to stop complaining.

Until the other day when I tried a friend's 320d e93 (I know he does not have the same steering system as mine): perfect. Rigid, reactive, not nervous.

To better understand the type of problem I am attaching a short video.

https://youtu.be/Nip-fnN7-iQ

Opinions? Maybe someone who has already had a similar problem?

I await your response with confidence.
Appreciate 0