View Single Post
      04-18-2019, 05:16 PM   #89
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Z4 sDrive 35i 6MT

Interesting... I've never had the screen flicker on the iDrive screen or the reverse camera. Only when using CarPlay navigation.

The avin unit was not out when I was looking at options either. It definitely seems like a more polished product and is awesome for those who don't have iDrive. That said, if this UniChip system worked flawlessly, I think I'd choose it because it retains the stock set up with the folding screen.

I haven't studied the avin unit much yet since I haven't really considered switching at this point. But, CarPlay seems like a bit of an afterthought with that system... being Android-based. I suppose that doesn't matter that much though.

I wish more of us had access to shops that specialize in these aftermarket projects. I've done a lot more DIY with this car than any car I've had previously and it's been successful and a fun learning experience.... but there comes a point when I'd rather just pay someone else to do it.

Regarding top issues and overall reliability.... I've been lucky so far and haven't had any major issues. But, this forum can be scary. Sometimes I feel like I should avoid forums until I actually develop an issue rather than driving around wondering what's about to break.
Appreciate 0