View Single Post
      11-29-2022, 12:06 PM   #915
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

It's a repeating nightmare getting some people to understand what they're hitching their wagons to with this push for EVs in such a short time frame.

I've posted in two incidents with power outages in my area which is a major metropolitan center. I myself experienced a power outage in my area affecting 3200 customers with no weather situation. Still don't know what caused the outage lasting 1.5 hours. Then the next day a plane flies into some power lines. I know it's freak thing. But the grid didn't have the resiliency to deal with minimizing the impact. 85,000 affected customers and two major hospitals. Then the resulting fallout even after power was restored. The entire county's public school system shut down and a very busy subway line had some station shut downs. <sarcasm>Our power grid is definitely ready to handle the additional load of all these new EVs.</sarcasm>

And those that think the Feds are going to be able to positively push this agenda/timeline, think again. I think we all remember this little event called 9/11. I worked as a Federal contractor at the time. I saw the big wake up call of how there were so many deficiencies in the US' ability to respond to a major domestic disaster. New agencies were stood up and lots of funding was allocated. We're 21 years past that horrible day and I can honestly say much hasn't really changed. Even simple things such as being able to fix the horrible traffic situation in the DC area hasn't happened. The evacuation of people from all high risk targets was a total nightmare. The building I was working in took two hours to evacuate on that day. I can honestly say two hours for that same building would be wishful thinking now. It'll probably be more on the lines of 3 to 4 hours now.

There was a definite national security issue with mandates and funding. Yet we're really no better off than we were since given 21 years for things to be done.
Appreciate 3