View Single Post
      01-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #72
sjeupie
Private
Rep
Drives: Tiefseeblau E89 Sdrive 23i wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmos View Post
Ok, so this discussion had me running over to my storage garage to see if I could shed any light on the topic. Prior to storage my BMW shop foreman advised me to disconnect the battery and leave the trunk open. So I did that, backing into my space deep enough to discourage anyone from going back there, but still leaving me enough room to squeeze in and reconnect the battery in the spring.

Tonight I brought over my 535 and some jumper cables to see if the car would start using the under hood terminal with a disconnected battery. It would not. However, it did fire up the interior lights, and radio etc... My car has a button to pop the trunk, and when pushed I could hear the actuator responding. I did not go so far as to close the trunk and release it again as I still had a bit of trepidation from other posts on this topic, but it seems clear to me that the trunk would pop.

So, unless your car does not have the trunk release button, then you are safe.
Just to make sure I don't get my hopes up for nothing: you disconnected the battery completely. As in: + and - terminals disconnected?
I really hope that this is going to do the trick. I had my car sinc 4 days and never noticed a trunk release button, a part from the one on the remote. Hopefully that does the trick nonetheless. Thank you very much for checking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyal8r View Post
This is important news for anyone that stores their Z4 and most of us do. I will send a prvt message to the OP. It should be archived or sticky??
This is indeed very important news. The OP 'fixed' his problem by breaking through the center compartment but other people all over the world, including me, face the same situation. So to summarize our conclusions so far:

In case of disconnected battery (- or +) and shut trunk:

Does not work:

- connecting a battery charger to terminals under hood
- cry

Does work.

- connecting an 'old school charger' to terminals under hood (vehicle could start if + is connected. Otherwise only low voltage circuit)
- connecting jumper cables connected to another vehicle, to terminals under hood (vehicle could start if + is connected. Otherwise only low voltage circuit)
- break into the trunk through the center storage compartment.
- move with controlled violence the trunk lid 5mm to the left till it unhooks on the right side and then again 5mm to the right so it unhooks on the left side. This will off course put a lot of strain on the hinges etc. Do at own risk.

Am I correct in my above assumptions?
Is anybody willing to go out of his way and double check the 'jumper cable with battery disconnected' theory? I'll do it for sure and report back when I'm back at my car in a couple of months (heck, I'm going to buy some pro-jumper cables for it just so we can avoid any doubt on that as well in case it doesn't work, cause sometimes I can't jump a car if the battery is completely dead because of the resistance in my 'cheap' jumper cables) but maybe somebody wants/needs to do it before that.

Ps: it is incredible to see so many people are willing to help out here and keep digging!

Last edited by sjeupie; 01-19-2016 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 0