View Single Post
      09-11-2022, 09:01 AM   #258
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I started running at the beginning of COVID. Started from scratch and was just doing 1 mile at a time.

2ish years later, I'm at about 20-25 miles a week, but the injuries are starting to slow me down even though it wasn't an issue in the beginning. I'm struggling on and off with IT band on the right side. It usually only pops up after 12 mile or so run, or when I reach weekly goal of 25ish miles.

I know I need to be doing strength training, but I also do stretch before and after runs. I actually stretch about 3-4 times a day.

Any tips on how else I can help this issue along? I do want to reach 1000 miles total for the year, so the weekly miles are not supposed to come down for the rest of the year.
When you run more (as you are doing - good job!), any muscle imbalances/weaknesses/etc. that you have will start to show their faces. Good for you for stretching. As you said, you do need to do some strength work to help build up the weaker muscles or correct the imbalances. That really helped me out.

The other thing that really helped me out was shoes. I kept getting shin splints and other nagging injuries until I started trying out different shoes. I learned that I pronate when I run (it's a specific way the foot hits the ground as you run). Once I figured that out, I got shoes specifically for that type of running pattern. I haven't had shin splints since. Hopefully something like that can help you out as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRod321 View Post
Anyone here experience extensor tendonitis?(pain on top of the foot like the base of the ankle)
I've had a weird experience with it. I've had it since march/april, it comes and goes. Somedays, even walking is tough because it's a nagging pain, other days, it's fine. Been practicing RICE with the exception of compression and it's gotten better. It still comes and goes but it's gotten much better lately. Just wondering if anyone's had experience with it and how long til you were back at 100%?
I have had that before (a few years ago now - maybe 2016?). Unfortunately, I don't recall what I did specifically to help out with it. I believe it actually was one of those things that went away on its own as I increased the amount of running I did. It was about 3 - 4 months until it was gone for me. Best of luck to you.