08-04-2021, 03:31 PM   #21
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
My opinion on lubricating joints is that its really not needed... I havent seen any manual that says to do that.. There are a few youtube videos i have seen that show lubricating the joints as part of maintaining the roof. But everything published on youtube is not always correct. I think manufacturer probably did extensive testing on roofs mechanism durability and if they saw a need for lubrication then it would be mentioned in owners manual etc.

Lubricant oil would catch all the dust and grime in it and become abrasive messy goo in the end that wears the joints down.

I think that if you are going the lubricating route then do it regularly and clean old stuff off before relubrication. But if you are going to do it rarely then better not do it at all... i have never lubricated any joints on my cars roof. Probably previous owner did not do any of that either. 13th year going and everything is still fine. I did think about it. And this was the conclusion i came to.

I do agree that regular use is better for the roof mechanism than letting it sit and not be used at all. Components would seize in the end if not used for a long time.
I agree, I haven't sprayed my roof at all during all those years until one time when I bought a decent spray for another purpose. I'm not saying it's imperative but it won't hurt if one is smart about it. Like I said, I think a key thing is just to use the roof regularly.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0