10-26-2020, 03:34 PM   #5691
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merami fan View Post
Agreed. And I'm not just a weeb or Japanophile. In my opinion, the Japanese music scene is more adventurous and generally more interesting than western offerings. I spent a lot of my free time during the past few years digging into Japanese music. Hundreds of hours.

Some of the artists you listed are on the popular side, some not so much. All pretty decent. For mainstream bands, I would recommend Indigo la End (indie rock) and Spitz (rock). There are a lot of quality mainstream artists, to be honest. But I've been completely focused on doujin (同人) music for the last 3 years or so. Meaning self-published, you can think of it as indie taken a step further. I have found the doujin scene to be much more interesting than mainstream.
Agree with your first paragraph 100%. I went with more well-known bands to gauge who I was talking with to an extent haha. I enjoy Indigo la End, some of their music is too weepy though. Other enjoyable ones are Nakimushi, yourness, Kobore, 36km, Bubbly Summer, People1, Zutomayo, Lucky Tapes, Vaundy, etc etc. So I think it is safe it say I enjoy japanese mainstream indie music. So I havent dove too deep into the doujin side of things. Regardless it is quite enjoyable, and my music of choice especially when working. At some point the music crosses a barrier for me in which it is too interesting though. I wouldn't say my ears can't keep up, rather it becomes too infatuated with sound that I can't concentrate on a line that I really enjoy.

Favorite bassist is in Oisicle Melonpan, very smooth to listen to. Often their music has two solos, one for the guitarist/vocalist, and one for the bassist.

Appreciate 0